August 5, 2011

mix and match...


*ETA Happy Dance!!! this card made the Terrific Top 3 this week at The Shabby Tea Room:) Thanks to the DT for choosing my card. Such an honour*

If you're anything like me, when I am making cards I tend to hoard everything.. and I mean e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g. Including scraps of paper. I just don't have the heart to throw them away. In my mind I think that they are a) too pretty to throw out and b)I will find a use for them(eventually).. So, I keep them all.. trim them to make straight edges..and they sit... and sit.. and sit. Unused and unloved. Until now...
This hoarding has come about since I love patterned papers, and live so far out of civilization( and let's be honest- I have no patience to wait and wait for my online orders). This weeks challenge over at one of my fave sites The Shabby Tea Room is to mix and match patterned papers, using at least 3....this got my wheels turning.
I now have a reason to use all of my cut off ends and hoarded scraps...hooray! For this project I picked out a bunch of my favourite papers- Basic Grey(Capella and Porcelain collections) and Melissa Frances- and started playing around with the order..the colours I wanted together.. and this is what I came up with.. the pieces were all different lengths, so I trimmed them flush once I taped them all together(oh the wonders of double side tape:P) I love that they all are different widths too.
I just had to show a close-up of this fabby embossed 'lace'. It's something I have in my stash.. they are too pretty to part with.. my mama finds the most cool things when she's out on the hunt for her own art projects(she's an amazing doll artist..) I love the fact its sticky backed..and comes in long strips so you can cut just how much you need. I highlighted the dots with some mini pearls-a gift from my sister..(how they totally get me and my favourite embellishments..feeding my hoarding obsession lol)
All of those pieces of patterned paper sit on a piece of Japanese handmade paper(the blue at the bottom of the card) from my mama..book print dye cut(PTI mat stack)is the base for my doily and butterflies..I'm really digging layering these days.. more is more if you ask me... lol. Let's hope I don't over do it. This is one of a four piece card set for a dear friend of mine. Do you think she will like it as much as I do?
Just wanted to say thanks for stopping by the ole blog tonight. I love reading your comments..such great encouragement.

I'm off to post this to the challenge site..
'Til next time,
~Becks

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. Something about hoarding bits and pieces of pretty papers and special fabric that gives us all some peace within. I think its a natural thing!!!
    Your card is heart warming, lovely use of the patterned papers and your sweet little design. Good luck with the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's going to love it!! beautiful creation ... love the subtle colours ... doilies and gorgeous butterfly ... somehow scraps seem to make the sweetest cards ... pure vintage delight ... have a great day Becks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know exactly what you mean. I have drawers full of paper scraps and even a box under my work table. I can't bear to throw any of it away. It's all so pretty and you never know when you may need a particular color or pattern!

    Beautiful card, Becks. The butterfly on the doily is a fabulous idea and the "lace" is divine! My SIL is a doll maker and sends me bits and pieces of special things that she has picked up along the way. Gotta love those doll makers - they do find the best trims!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your card is sooo pretty and soft, love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS!!!!!!!! So soft, shabby and lovely!!! Thanks for sharing this stunning creation with us in the Tea Room - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card! Love the soft color palette and the sweet crocheted doily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did those scraps a good turn with your beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just STUNNING! SO YUMMY! Thanks for sharing with us at The Shabby Tea Room ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! This is gorgeus! Love the crochet doily you layered for the focal point! So beautifully detailed and very chic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely, heart-warming card. Very deserving of it's award.
    Farrah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Rebekah! Love the little crocheted doily and sweet butterfly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and leaving some love! I appreciate it a lot!! :D